Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Royal Mirage Hotel, Dar es Salaam

I just killed our fourth cockroach. The third one was actually in Lacey's bed, so we tried to wipe off any roach fecea and put something over our pillows in case there was lice. Unlike some of the girls, Lacey and I haven't exactly been screaming and insisting that we can't stay here, but we did both have to take medication to sleep and we agree that we would rather be camping. I'm much happier in rural areas with trees and the animals and people living simple, happy lives. Dar is like any other big city. Poverty surrounding huge sky-rises. Dirty and dangerous, there are dark alleys with crime and pickpockets waiting for an unaware tourist. I guess yesterday was the Tanzanian Independence Day, so that was why there were so many cars and people everywhere. I'm curious to go out and see more of the city, but wary too. I'll have to stay close to the group because at this point I have NO voice AT ALL and won't be able to yell if I need to get someone's attention. I do love the humidity though... tropical.

No comments:

Post a Comment