Saturday, January 17, 2009

Safari Lodge, Stone Town, Zanzibar

So yesterday, once we got to Zanzibar, we set off for the Integral Assistance for Vulnerable Children (IAVC). They are in dire need of financial support. In the building that they rent, there are two desks with chairs and one computer. They offer breakfast for the children, but no longer have the means to provide other meals except on rare occassions. They can no longer house the children they serve, so they live with relatives and pop into the center when they are able to provide services. The children have to apply to the program and they can only shoode the neediest to accept. They currently have 30 boys (6 who are HIV+) and 36 girls (8 who are HIV+). Many are orphans or street children. We brought them a laptop computer, digital camera, and toys for the children. We sat and colored and talked with the kids (which is not easy when most speak only Swahili), while a female staff member went to purchase food for us to prepare. We paired off with the kids and I sat with a shy 13-year old girl names Tatu. At first I thought she wouldn't talk to me, but then she began drawing me a sort of picture dictionary, teaching me more Swahili words. Then, I joined her and a few other girls (along with our professors) in preparing the meal. We had limited tools, so my pocket knife came in handing (for about the hundreth time on this trip). I cut vegetables for about two hours. The girls were laughing at me as we cut onions and tomatoes for the salad because I couldn't get the slices very thin with my knife. A lot of people in our group were feeling sick from the ferry and not eating all day, so we left before the meal was completely finished.

I think that many people are ready to go home, but I could stay here for another year I think. :) It was a pretty rough morning for most, but it was such an incredible experience to just sit around a pot with these young girls doing something so orniary - something that is done in any culture I can think of. Women and girls bond around the ritual of cooking a meal, sharing stories and traditions. I felt so honored to be allowed to participate in that with them.

After leaving the IAVC, we went back to our hotel (no roaches to be seen so far... haha), and then explored the city. Lacey and I found an internet cafe, thanks to the gentlemant that served as our guide, and then found our way to the Pagoda Chinese Restaurant, where our professors and their husbands joined us. The food was delicious, although two of us are experience "GI quickness" this morning. We passed by so many beautiful building and some interesting boutiques that we intend to explore later. I'm hoping that we'll go to a reggae show that is happening tonight. One of the men we passed on the street was telling me about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment